Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Amazon Kindle Warranty Review

In short, wow that was easy.

The full story.

I have a tendency to place my new Kindle in my back pocket. You can probably guess that carries a degree of sit-damage risk. I've sat on the device before without an issue, but today proved the exception.

I sat in the car after dropping off my little girl at Cornerstone Academy. After a few seconds I remembered that my Kindle was in my pocket. I removed it, noticed the case was slightly apart, and clipped it back together.

Later in the day I noticed a slight blemish on the screen. I took a closer look and realized I cracked the screen during my inadvertent pressure test.



My first thought, I enjoyed it while I had it. My second thought, there is a possibility the warranty covers cracked screens. My experience with other devices did not hold much hope. While I was waiting in line, I used Google to see what Amazon's policy was concerning cracked screens. I noticed a promising article on engadget.com.


I couldn't find an official statement on Amazon's warranty page but I remained hopeful. I navigated around Amazon's site and found that I needed to call to warranty the Kindle. I found the contact information on this page.

The click to call feature was mildly interesting. I listed the reason for my call, then clicked the button to call. I didn't have to dig into a complicated menu system with multiple transitions between departments.



I spoke with a friendly representative, sheepishly explained my reason for warranty, and waited while she typed out the issue. Notably, she did not ask for serial numbers or purchase dates, or any other of the numerous questions that I normally experience in a warranty return. She returned to the line, apologized for my issue, and said she would send a new one right away. I experienced a little jaw dropping, and said thank you very much.

She sent me an email and gave me a link for a UPS shipping label. I also noted that they sent the replacement next day air.


Amazon takes many of the hassles out of the warranty process by avoiding the phone bounce cliche of other warranty returns, covering the product regardless of owner ineptitude, and providing fast turn around.

In the current economic climate, talking with some warranty departments feels like talking with insurance companies. The departments seem to look for loopholes to avoid filling the warranty. Amazon sets its warranty process apart, if nothing else I'd recommend the Kindle on the warranty process alone.



3 comments:

  1. http://kindle2000.com

    Not All E Ink is the Same - Kindle Uses "Pearl", the Latest Generation E Ink for 50% Better Contrast
    When considering an ereader, you should ensure that you are getting a device with the latest generation E Ink technology, referred to as "Pearl". Our all-new Kindle uses Pearl, resulting in the best reading experience possible with 50% better contrast and the sharpest text.
    PopSci.com named our Pearl display a "Best of What's New 2010" winner stating, "The newest Kindle's most impressive achievement (among others, including a reduced size and a slashed price) is its E Ink Pearl screen, which is just an absolute pleasure to behold."
    How Electronic Ink Works
    Electronic ink screens work using ink, just like books and newspapers, but display the ink particles electronically. People who see the display for the first time do a double take because the screen looks like real paper.
    No Eye Strain - Reads Like Real Paper, Not a Computer Screen
    Kindle's electronic ink display is ideal for reading because it does not create the same eyestrain as reading on traditional backlit LCD tablets or laptops.
    Clearer Text and the Sharpest Display
    Electronic ink uses actual ink to create crisp, print-like text similar to what you see in a physical book. Kindle's proprietary, hand-built fonts take advantage of the special characteristics of the ink to make letters clear and sharp.
    No Glare, Even in Bright Sunlight
    Kindle's screen reflects light like ordinary paper, eliminating the glare created by backlit LCD displays on tablets or smart phones. Kindle can be read as easily in bright sunlight as in your living room.
    Longer Battery Life
    Electronic ink screens require no power to maintain a page of text, allowing you to read for up to a month on a single charge versus hours on a tablet or smart phone. This low power consumption also means that Kindle, unlike a laptop, never gets warm so you can comfortably read as long as you like.

    http://kindle2000.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what your comment has to do with my story, but I thought I give an update. I've now cracked two Kindles and had a third become amazingly slow. Amazon replaced all of the devices, by the next day, without any hassles. Amazingly impressive, Amazon sets their customer service above most other online retailers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazon is aiming to shake up the eBook reader market once again
    by announcing the the new generation reader , dubbed the Kindle
    So what can you expect to see when comparing
    the Kindle ? Here’s a detailed look. http://book-on-kindle.com
    For anyone who is interested in the best of books should embrace
    the Amazon Kindle revolution, one that is changing the concept
    of interacting with a book itself. Finding cheap Amazon Kindle and accessories for sale,
    is your beginning to reading in a different way.

    ReplyDelete